Monday, September 8, 2014

Write The Vision And Make It Plain


Last week I had one of those days where there were so many questions running through my mind. And if you are a visionary/creative type you know exactly what I'm talking about. Questions like, what to do next? How should I do it? When should I do it? Should I enlist help? If so...who, what, when, where, and how? And the questions went on and on until I found myself staring at my computer screen without any answers. That is until I took to my white board, grabbed my dry erase markers and allowed the questions that swarmed around in my head out on the white board in front of me.


If you know scripture, Habakkuk 2:2 speaks of how we should write the vision and make it plain. I take this to mean that whatever we have a vision for - a dream we wish to see come to life, we should write it down and write it down in such a way that it is very clear to us how we should go about taking the steps to make it happen. Having a vision in your head is one thing, but writing it down with action steps or small goals that will help you paint the big picture can be used as your blueprint - something to refer to when you feel yourself loosing your focus or getting off track.

When your ideas start to come at a rapid pace, it's easy to get tangled up in them without much time to process what the idea or thought was and before you know it, you're feeling overwhelmed, yet excited about the amazing ideas that are flowing your way. When ideas flow like this, I call this a gateway. It's like a treasure chest that's just been opened and God has supplied you with ideas to act upon. But the key to bringing those ideas to life is devising a plan that will help you with each step you take along the way.

One thing that has helped me keep my ideas in one place is having either a journal or notebook (I purchase them often. I even carry a little journal in my bag for those random jolts of inspiration). As I write down each idea, I take some time to reflect on the steps needed to get the ball rolling and when the time is right - when I feel the "OK" from God, I take action.

If you have been overwhelmed with amazing ideas lately, jot them down along with the steps needed to make them happen and be very clear about it. Pray over them and ask for God's direction, and when the timing is right, set out to make